Thursday, April 12, 2012

Art should be like sushi- less is more.

The show is up, the deed is done. I want to make a poem about how it feels to finally have finished but I come up with none.

er....

This morning, Aaron Moulton, curator at UMOCA came and had a guest crit with the BFA students. It was laid back, he had good comments and everyone was laughing at one point or another. One thing that I really took from his visit today was the idea that "less is more." There is no mystery anymore and sometimes we can get carried away and say too much. This topic came up with Holly D.'s work and with my own. Maybe my sculptures were getting carried away, maybe I haven't quite activated the space enough for my own purposes but it's all a learning experience. I am not going to change anything at this point. It's over and it's time to move on. It made me really think about art in a different way. Sometimes I get caught up in the richness of things, objects, ideas....that I forget to keep it simple and to let the viewer wonder.

Keep it simple stupid.

I am excited to start new work-eventually. I am needing a break. After graduation next Friday Brock and I are going to San Francisco and I am thrilled. I am going to see the SFMOMA while I am there and possibly check out the Art Institute. The semester is ending on a good note and only time will tell what happens from here. 

No comments: